Re: Publication schedule for first public working drafts

For what it is worth, and apologies for "dropping" this on people,
but the telecons are scheduled at a time I cannot be there (I teach a
semantic web class from 1-3:30  US East Coast time Wednesdays), I do
NOT approve of moving the docs to Working draft at this point-- the
charter specifies the OWL 1.1 documents as inputs to our WG, and thus
their importance has been flagged.  I believe that moving them to WG,
no matter what we put in the status section, would imply more support
than I am willing to endorse at this point in time.  Rather, I would
suggest that we simply skip Bijan's first step below, and hold all
document publications until after the first f2f -- the group is still
forming, the documents have already been flagged for attention, but I
don't feel the level of WG review to date merits WG publication.
  If I'd know specifically that this was going to be discussed I'd of
sent this before the telecon.
  -Jim H.

On Oct 18, 2007, at 8:37 AM, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> I was thinking about this a bit more, and I have a bit longer
> schedule proposal for the core trio.
>
> 	Oct:
> 		Publish first WD with body text verbatim but with appropriate
> disclaimers.
>
> 	By first f2f:
> 		we clear all current editorial issues (typos, the unclarity of
> the conditions on roles, etc.) or any others we fine, and by the
> end of the first f2f we identify parts of the documents which are
> controversial. We decide at the first F2F to publish fresh
> documents with the fixes and clear flags for the controversial bits.
>
> 	Thereafter,
> 		as we clear reasonable chunks of contentious issues, we publish
> new WDs to reflect that.
>
> I'm thinking it would be nice to have markers akin to what's in the
> HTML5 drafts, see:
> 	http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/
>
> (Look at the "big issue" text, which is red and in a box.)
>
> So, for example, in the RDF Mapping document, a clear contentious
> issue is the use of reification for annotated axioms, both in
> general, and in the particular way it's done. I'd like that the
> second WD of that document either have changed/confirmed that
> (because the WG has consensus by then...highly unlikely, IMHO), or
> we flag it brightly with a link to a raised issue about it.
>
> I also think that by the first f2f it would be nice to have
> gathered up existing implemention and user feedback. Publishing an
> early WD gives us something sensible, post-submission, to point to.
> (I.e., "Hey implementors, Hey users, please look at the first WD
> and let us know any problems you have.:")
>
> So, to reiterate, my main reason for pubbing first wds early is to
> solicit as wide review as early as possible and to get reviewers of
> older versions to refresh their reviews.
>
> Cheers,
> Bijan.

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair