Re: Introductions

On Dienstag, 9. Oktober 2007, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
> Subject: Introductions
> Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 10:13:52 -0400
>
> > As we will be using a wiki to record information about the working
> > group, it would be great if you could create an account on it and put
> > your introduction there as well, or link to your post. Here's how: Go
> > to http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/. At the top right click "Log in/
> > create account". On the next page click "Create an account". Use a
> > "wiki name" as your login, a concatenation of your captialized first
> > and last names, e.g. IanHorrocks.
>
> If you have a more complex name, you may have to do more than this.  I'm
> not sure of the exact rules, but it should be safe to 1/ take your first
> name, von-part, and surname, 2/ replace accented letters with their
> unaccented representation or just remove the accent, 3/ remove the
> non-alphabetic characters, 4/ capitalize the first letter plus any
> letter after a space, and 5/ remove all spaces.  Thus my name gets
> mangled into PeterPatelSchneider.
>
> peter
>
> PS:  The first time I used MediaWiki I had a hard time figuring out why
> my username didn't work right.  However, there doesn't seem to be any
> document telling users how to create their user name.

I am rather sure that MediaWiki supports spaces, accents, and in fact most
Unicode characters in user names. At least I have dozens of MW-logins with my
true name. This is also the case for article titles. So we actually could
just use the natural spelling for everything (for complicated spellings,
MediaWiki's redirect pages can help others to find the correct page anyway,
even if their keyboard lacks some symbols).

Markus

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universät Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe