Re: proposal - Fragments redux (unifying the threads under Issues 75-80)

On 29 Nov 2007, at 17:06, Jim Hendler wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2007, at 2:44, Carsten Lutz <clu@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Jim Hendler wrote:
>>>
>>> well, it's not so much motivated by computational properties, see
>>> out in the real world there's people who just implement fast
>>> engines and don't worry so much about the details...
>>
>> Sorry to object, but IHMO this approach is precisely why the original
>> OWL Lite was broken. And I understood we wanted to fix this?! We
>> should
>> at least understand the computational properties of the fragments we
>> are selecting.
>>

> IMO, its because we worried too much about theory that lite is broken

I can't let this go by without a correction. OWL Lite is broken
because it was designed without *any* consideration of theory -- the
design "methodology" was to haggle over what features to throw out
and what to leave in, without any (rigorous) analysis of the
(computational) consequences. There was even a last minute push to
have oneOf be included on the grounds that it is a "must have"
feature for many users; this was only given up when it was pointed
out that the resulting language would have exactly the same worst
case complexity as OWL DL.

Ian