Re: UFDTF Metamodeling Document

Just to follow up on Conrad's response, I would really encourage you to
submit comments to the issues list, which would help us improve the
specification in the short time remaining.

I think some of the issues you raised are legitimate, I disagree with
others, and some comments may stem from lack of knowledge of MOF,
particularly its purpose as a repository/persistence representation.
Most are not comments on the metamodels themselves but on the related
text, which can be fixed where appropriate. Metamodel changes are
harder, due to the stage in the standardization process and number of
implementations, but possible, depending on their nature. We should
simply work through them, in the OMG forum rather than on this list, and
rather than requiring another three years to develop an entirely new set
of models.

I would also like to say that the use cases we've been discussing in the
user facing documents TF are essential to teasing out metamodel
requirements, which in turn, should have beneficial input to the
language development.  We worked synergistically with the Common Logic
language developers in creating the metamodel for CL, which had clear
impact on the language itself.  The CL metamodel in the ODM
specification is the metamodel in the ISO CL specification. Any approach
that provides a smorgasbord of diagrams -- UML conceptual view in the
structural specification, a different metamodel in a W3C note, and a
third international standard metamodel in the ODM, will only serve to
confuse and divide the user community.

Elisa