Re: ISSUE-80 (DL-Lite): REPORTED: DL-Lite

From: Bernardo Cuenca Grau <bcg@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:01:21 +0000 (GMT)
To: Carsten Lutz <clu@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de>
cc: OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

> Yes, but in their OWLED06 paper, the romans show how these problems
> are avoided when DL-Lite_R and DL-Lite_F are merged in a more careful
> way (don't ask me for details, though :).  And then, there are other
> versions such as DL-Lite Horn and DL-Lite Krom proposed by Alessandro,
> Diego, and Misha. Also tractable (and you may ask for details :).

Well, the DL-Lite literature is a bit of a wild jungle...

> > The selection of DL-Lite_R was motivated by the fact that it is a proper
> > extension of the DL subset of RDF-Schema, which provides role-inclusion
> > axioms but not functionality, and therefore DL-Lite_R is a language that lies
> > in between such DL subset of RDF-Schema and OWL Lite.
> >
> > In any case, I agree that these choices should be discussed and that we could
> > do a better job in presenting all (or most of) the variants. Also, as Carsten
>
> I have a different opinion. If we try to present all variants of all
> fragments, we are lost and we will have an endless (and confusing)
> list of fragments. Moreover, we are bound to be outdated extremely
> quickly. I believe that we should make clever choices, instead of
> being exhaustive.

Ok, I agree with this. We should think about which ones should be
selected.
I made my choices when writing the documents, but certainly these choices
should be refined.

Bernardo

> greetings,
>  		Carsten
>
> --
> *      Carsten Lutz, Institut f"ur Theoretische Informatik, TU Dresden       *
> *     Office phone:++49 351 46339171   mailto:lutz@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de     *

Dr. Bernardo Cuenca Grau
Research Fellow
Information Management Group