UFDTF F2F goals???

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:36:51 +0000
To: "Web Ontology Language ((OWL)) Working Group WG" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

I said I would have a think about the F2F goals for the Task Force:

It would be good if we could come out of the F2F with greater clarity as to:

- whether we will start from the OWL 1.0 docs or start afresh
   (or both or some subset)

- do we have consensus as for whom we are writing?

- which documents are intended for which readers?

=====

Unfortunately I am not sure that the questions can be asked all that simply.

I suggest we use Monday's UFDTF call to concentrate on what questions
should we be asking ourselves during the F2F?

Some samples

- Do we want to have a UCRs doc?
- If so is it an evolution of
http://www.w3.org/TR/webont-req/

- Do we want the User facing Documentation to include a short overview
such as the OWL 1.1 member submission overview.
- If so do we want it as a separate document

- Do we want the User facing Documentation to include a longer overview
such as http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-features
- If so do we want it as a separate document

- Do we want the User facing Documentation to include a technical but
less formal specification such as http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref
- If so do we want it as a separate document, or worked in with the more
formal specs.

- Do we want the User facing Documentation to include a user manual
along the lines of http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-guide
- If so do we want it as a separate document
- If so does it need substantial rework (e.g. dropping wine ontology, or
adding different domain specific ontologies)

- Do we want to include domain specific guides
- Do we want to link to non-W3C user facing documentation

- Do we want to have User Facing Documentation pages in a Wiki that has
an active lifetime after the Working Group
- How would we maintain such a thing?

====

If we can get a number of questions, I would hope that very short
discussions followed by straw polls at the F2F would give us some idea
of what the group as a whole, rather than simply the noisy people, would
like.

====

Maybe we can get as far as writing up a matrix of readers vs documents
and see which readers we are addressing adequately and which we are not.

Jeremy