Re: UFDTF - who are we writing for

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:30:56 +0000
Cc: "OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: "Kashyap, Vipul" <VKASHYAP1@PARTNERS.ORG>

On 26 Nov 2007, at 19:21, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:
[snip]
>>  It's clear that, at least at the W3C, a lot of the proposed
>> activity belongs in SWEO:
>> 	http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/
>>
>> """The scope of SWEO group includes:
>> the development and collection of use and business cases, stemming
>> from both user and vendor companies, and documenting the value of
>> Semantic Web technologies
>> identifying possible vertical markets and application areas for the
>> Semantic Web
>> production of clear guidelines for tutorials, presentations,
>> teaching
>> materials, FAQ-s, etc, targeted at different audiences"""
>>
>> Sounds like our TF telecon today :)
>
> Not really.

Yes really.

> At least so far,

I refer to the text above which is pretty clear.

> SWEO has focused at the "Business User"
> whereas we will be focusing on other users as well... "Domain Specific
> Informaticians"
> "Enterprise Architect", .... etc.

The scope statement does not limit itself to business users. What
"we" will do is still under debate, so I would appreciate if you
would talk about what *you want* rather than what "we'll do".

> So it is more of a 30,000 foot level picture as opposed more
> detailed user guide
> and requirements driven design approach that we are proposing.

Who's "we"?

SWEO is supposed to, by that scope statement, produce "clear
guidelines" for tutorials, presentations, etc. targeted at different
audiences. Which is what we were discussing.

I'm happy to weaken my claim to "It seems like the kind of thing that
SWEO would be well suited for".