Re: ISSUE-73 (infinite universe): REPORTED: Should owl:Thing be necessarily infinite?

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:57:19 -0500
To: OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
While finite universe's are quire interesting theoretically, I must
admit I've never seen a real application that used one, and I note
that  some of the border cases for other issues come when the
extension of owl:thing is finite - can anyone on the list give a real
use case (preferably from an actual application) that requires this?
  -JH

On Nov 21, 2007, at 9:31 AM, OWL Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> ISSUE-73 (infinite universe): REPORTED: Should owl:Thing be
> necessarily infinite?
>
> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/tracker/issues/
>
> Raised by: Jeremy Carroll
> On product:
>
> In this description the 'universe' means the class extension of
> owl:Thing.
>

> In OWL 1.0 Full, the universe is necessarily infinite.
>
> In OWL 1.0 DL, the universe is required to be non-empty.
>
> The compatibility between OWL Full and OWL DL could be enhanced by
> requiring the universe to be infinite in both cases.
>
> Looking at:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-dev/2007AprJun/0131
> and related messages, this is not difficult to implement.
>
>> From a modelling point of view, any model with a finite domain of
>> discourse, would model that domain as a subclass of owl:Thing; and
>> the domain owl:Thing would be reserved as everything in a Web
>> context, for which it is difficult to give a finite bound.

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept