Re: ISSUE-66 (mapping inconsistencies): REPORTED: inconsistencies between mapping rules

Boris Motik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is no inconsistency here: if you serialize an OWL Functional Syntax ontology into RDF and read it back, you'll get the same
> ontology, modulo pair-wise axioms (such as DifferentIndividuals).
>
> I don't really believe that we need a proof for that; however, I agree that saying this explicitly in the document is a good idea.

Abstractly, each set of rules defines a relationship between trees and
triples.

The design is that relationship, not the rules.

i.e. an OWL Syntax component that has a fairy inside who reads trees and
outputs triples, and can read triples and output trees according to that
relationship, is a legal implementation: despite the fairy acting
entirely on magically inspiration rather than any version of the rules.

Thus having two sets of rules defines the relationship twice: and may be
two normative descriptions of the same aspect of the design. In general
two descriptions describe different things, even when there are people
asserting that they describe the same thing.

I am merely highlighting that this is a potential source of problems.

Jeremy