Re: unnamed datatypes in RDF/XML

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:35:29 +0000
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
CC: Carsten Lutz <clu@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de>, Michael Smith <msmith@clarkparsia.com>, Uli Sattler <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>, public-owl-wg <public-owl-wg@w3.org>, ewallace@cme.nist.gov

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> I will express my distaste for their choice to use namespace prefixes
> inside strings exactly once.
>
> -Alan
>
> On Nov 20, 2007, at 6:51 AM, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>
> [snipped: revolting description of the use of namespace prefix inside
> attribute values, associated lossage, and workaround]

One of the problems with OWL built on top of RDF built on top of XML
built on top of Unicode is that any problem with any of the layers bites
sooner or later.

The use of namespace prefixes inside strings is well-established, e.g.
in XSLT, but it causes difficulties - this is one of them.

I don't think that XML Schema uses these things exactly once, but then I
  am not a schema expert, e.g. I never read part xml schema part 1, I
just read part 2.

Jeremy