Re: ISSUE-65 (excess vocab): REPORTED: excessive duplication of vocabulary

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 05:57:48 -0500
Cc: "'OWL Working Group WG'" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: Boris Motik <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>

On Nov 21, 2007, at 4:31 AM, Boris Motik wrote:

> This makes parsing of OWL RDF really difficult: you can't process
> an ontology by itself, but you need
> to look at the imported ontologies as well.
>
> Even worse, what if the imported ontology O' is not in OWL RDF but
> in some other format? (For example, KAON2 allows a file ontology to
> import an ontology that resides in a relational database.) Parsing
> is now next to impossible. Thus, to allow parsing an ontology O by
> looking only at the triples in O, we introduced the typed vocabulary.

Hi Boris,

One will need to read each imported ontology at least once in order
to reason over it. Why can the ontologies not be read in two passes,
instead of one. Online files can be cached locally for the second
pass. Indeed the information necessary to parse can be cached in the
common case that any ontology doesn't change, by indexing it against
the md5 of the file.

I realize that this costs potentially 2n in the worst case, but in
the common case, with appropriate caches it will be quite quick...

-Alan