Re: ISSUE-5: n-ary datatypes - use cases ISSUE-53

On Nov 19, 2007, at 2:37 PM, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:

> Am not sure whether Alan's explanation in the earlier e-mail
> addresses how this use
> case can be represented in OWL 1.1. Maybe he can elaborate. Or, is
> the solution of this
> use case subsumed by the solution for n-ary data types?
>
> In general one could define a class called EnrolledAndTestedPatient
> which can be
> defined as:
>
> Patient
> that hasTest some AdministeredTest
> and hasClinicalTrial some EnrolledTrial
>
> So I would still need to represent the constraint: hasTest o
> enrollmentDate >
> hasClinicalTrial o enrollmentDate + 60.

If this is an eligibility requirement, we wouldn't
have"hasClinicalTrial, some EnrolledTrial". We only have that after
they are determined eligible.

(I think you mean "enrollmentDate o hasClinicalTrial", BTW)

You might have a test like "can't have participated in another
clinical trial  in the last 2 years"

> Jeremy's suggestion of a posthoc SPARQL query makes sense, but then
> would the
> results be available to the reasoner for further reasoning?

In this case it would be equivalent, I think, as we are getting
answers to the question "Which patients are eligible", which is a query.

> What if I wanted to check whether this patient is a member of the
> class
> EnrolledAndRecentlyTestedPatient?

Yes, this fits. It isn't part of our COI use case, but perhaps you
can motivate it from other work of yours.

> Would be great if I can get some clarification, before I agree to
> close this issue?

We can hold off for the moment, as there is a slight chance that the
n-ary datatypes could include the ability to work with properties on
different individuals.