Introduction (other part)

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:07:02 +0000
To: public-owl-wg@w3.org

You may recall that my previous introduction

was only in part.

I am now pleased to add that HP has confirmed that it wishes to be
represented in this WG; and has appointed me as primary rep, and Steve
Battle as alternate. Our current plan is that we will follow a strict
primary/alternate policy, and you will not see both of us at the same
meeting, except for the Manchester F2F.

In addition to my earlier introductory comments I will add:

The OWL 1.0 support in Jena consists of:
- an ontology API that supports OWL oriented access to an underlying RDF
graphs, and also supports owl:imports.
- sets of rules that support subsets of OWL within Jena's rule engine

Of the new features in the member submission, there is most excitement
in HP about:
- sub property chains (but without the limitations concerning datatype
- a new approach to forming subsets of the language

On a more personal note, I will add that I do geometry as a hobby ...
for example work in Venn Diagrams,

Which n-Venn Diagrams Can Be Drawn with Convex k-Gons?

and also oriented matroids

A New Proof of Pappus's Theorem

I am currently reading [the abridged version of] UNESCO's 8 volume
general history of Africa. I find the first sentence of this extensive
work, both pregant with meaning, and very moving. "Africa has a history."