needs for roundtripping

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 04:09:00 -0500 (EST)
To: hendler@cs.rpi.edu
Cc: public-owl-wg@w3.org

My view is that the need for roundtripping is even greater because
RDF/XML is the only normative exchange syntax.

Consider, for example, a source (e.g., a GUI for ontology building) that
generates ontologies in some syntax other than RDF/XML, in particular
one that is much closer to the abstract or functional-style syntaxes.
It is vital that these ontologies can be translated back into a form
close to the one in which they were generated.

Consider, for example, changing an ontology using a GUI that internally
utilizes a non-RDF/XML syntax and then putting the revised version back
up on the web.   Round-tripping helps in minimizing the number of
changed triples, allowing easier detection of what has changed.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research