Proliferation of types

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:12:19 -0500
To: OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

In separate discussions with Bijan (via chat) and Boris, I've raised
the issue that from a Web language usage point of view, the
proliferation of typing terms is a problem (the size of the OWL
language will now be twice what it was, which is a way to discourage
usage IMO).  - A couple of ideas have come up.  It appears to be that
if we could either have a way to enumerate all the classes and
properties in an ontology (both local and remote) or if we could do
some language design to simplify things -- for example, to make this
one feature in the RDF with some keys -- ie. some thing like having
one Datayping property construct to which the many different types
are key attiributes or something like that.  Boris and I also agreed
that we could not think of any reason why anyone would ever want a
datatype and an objecttype property with the same name -- so if we
added to the OWL namespace document that these two kinds of
properties are disjoint, then we would be able to rule out the case
of a consistent ontology ever having this done, which would therefore
make parsing/processing easier, and we might not need so many
property types.
  (apologies to Bijan and Boris for any misquoting I've done in
explaining what I thought we said)
  I have created a wiki page for this at "PropertyProliferationControl
   -JH