abbreviated IRIs - ISSUE-14 (was Re: owl minutes)

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 07:17:35 -0500 (EST)
To: public-owl-wg@w3.org

I wanted to wait until I had a chance to look at the SPARQL spec,
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/ before approving the resolution
of ISSUE-14.

The relevant part of the SPARQL spec appears to be Section 4.1.1.  I
read this normative section fully, and came up with the following
conclusions:

1/ The syntax for IRI_REF does not match the syntax for IRI references.
2/ The abbreviated syntax for IRIs does not match CURIES, nor anything
   else that I can tell, and will not generate all IRIs.

However, this section, although it is marked as normative, is not
complete.  (I seem to remember a comment by me on this before - very bad
document design - LET'S NOT DO THIS!)  To get a complete answer one has
to go to Appendix A, where deficiency 1 is alleviated.  However, I
believe that deficiency 2 not alleviated.

I'm not sure what the motivation was for slightly expanding on QNames in
the abbreviated IRI syntax, but not going all the way to CURIES.  Does
anyone know?  I don't view it as an acceptable solution - if we are
going to generalize QNames, then we should go all the way to CURIES.

peter