Re: ISSUE-14 (CURIES): REPORTED: Proposal to base abbreviated URIs on CURIES not QNAMES

Some notes on CURIEs:

* Loss of information: CURIEs can be problematic in the mapping to
RDF, as RDF requires QNames. This means that the mapping should expand
the CURIE prefix when translating to RDF.

* The underscore is a special character in CURIEs because of BNodes in
RDF: this is a good thing

* CURIEs allow the use of brackets in possibly ambiguous cases (but
the spec does not say which cases are ambiguous). This use of brackets
can conflict with the FSS as we use brackets to denote zero or one
instances of a symbol.

-Rinke

On 24 okt 2007, at 23:09, Web Ontology Language (OWL) Working Group
Issue Tracker wrote:

> ISSUE-14 (CURIES): REPORTED: Proposal to base abbreviated URIs on
> CURIES not QNAMES
>
> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/tracker/issues/
>
> Raised by: Alan Ruttenberg
> On product:
>
> Reported by alanruttenberg, May 27, 2007
>
> Also, can we amend the spec to use curies[1] instead of qnames in
> the functional syntax, or simply
> some sensible abbreviation mechanism? Qnames introduce restrictions
> that are unnecessary in this
> context.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/curie/

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl   Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499    Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.nl/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,         Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,           PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,            The Netherlands