Re: ISSUE-52 (Explanations): Specification of OWL equivalences and rewriting rules for explaining inferences

Vipul-
  In the first OWL group there were a number of features that we
couldn't get consensus on a conclusion to (Part-whole being a good
example) where we took the approach that we should provide the tools
to define these things, rather than try to specify them.  Given the
current state of explanation research, my instinct is that we could
probably do that in this case by making the annotation mechanism a
little stronger, and letting people build their own for the things
you suggest for now - after those have been out and deployed, we
might get more consensus (note that I use a lot of non-tableaux based
procedural reasoners in my new work, so how you would explain the
proofs could be arbitrarily hard)
  -JH

On Nov 3, 2007, at 1:28 PM, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:

> Clarification on this ISSUE-52”
>

> Would like to propose that constructs for the following “extra-
> logical ?” features be included in the OWL 1.1 Spec
>

> Proofs – probably as a sequence of entailments
> Entailments
> Explanations – probably as a human readable verbalizations of
> entailments
>

> The use case for the above is the need for an explanation feature
> for developing and debugging large scale OWL ontologies.
>
> A standardized specification of the above would enable better tool
> support for these features enabling sharing of explanations
>
> across tools and applications.. This will increase productivity of
> the ontology developer.
>

> Would like to discuss how this ISSUE is viewed as being within or
> beyond the scope of the current WG.
>

> ---Vipul
>
> The information transmitted in this electronic communication is
> intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and
> may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
> retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any
> action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities
> other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received
> this information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine
> at 800-856-1983 and properly dispose of this information.

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept