Documentation goals

On Nov 2, 2007, at 3:40 PM, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:

> Secondly, my question is whether and where we should draw the line
> between:
> a) making the OWL-somename *specification* more accessible to
> users, and
> b) providing *educational* material explaining the consequences of
> the technicalities in the spec.

Hi Rinke,

I'm not exactly sure how one draws the line here. Personally, I don't
see work on educational material as harmful, as long as it is well
done and doesn't compromise other goals of the group. I don't see the
latter happening currently, so I guess I'm taking a wait and see
attitude towards the efforts of the people who plan to work on the
documentation. We will need to assess the work they do, and it would
certainly help if they have input from all of us about what we think
is important to have in the documentation. To that end, maybe
clarifying the distinction you are trying to make could help.

One way to make this and other points on documentation might be to
identify some from other analogous projects that people have found to
be particularly useful to them or know to have been useful to others,
and perhaps some examples that have elements that we want to avoid.

-Alan