Re: Declarations in OWL 1.1

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:55:00 -0500 (EST)
To: boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk
Cc: public-owl-wg@w3.org

From: "Boris Motik" <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
Subject: Declarations in OWL 1.1
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 20:02:41 -0000

> Hello,
>
> At the F2F meeting, I was asked to provide some information about OWL
> declarations, so here it is.
>
> Why declarations?
> -----------------

[...]

> 1. You should be able to put an entity into an ontology

[...]

> 2. You should prevent "spelling errors"
> =======================================

[...]

> 3. Typing
> =========

[...]

> Solutions
> ---------

[...]

> D2. Use rdf:type
> ================
>
> We take rdf:type as declarations. This is *possible* only with T1 and T3
> solution for typing. In the case of T3, this requires each
> entity to be declared; for T1 declarations can be made optional.

Soluton T2 (a use of an entity requires a typing triple in the ontology
for that entity) along with D2 solves the spelling errors problem and
the typing problem.  It is just that it doesn't solve the "which
entities are 'declared' in this ontology" issue.  If you don't care
about this issue, then T2+D2 is quite acceptable.

> Regards,
>
> 	Boris

peter