Re: PROPOSAL to close ISSUE-68

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:27:35 -0500
Cc: public-owl-wg@w3.org
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
I  would not be happy with  this solution - it creates yet more,
seemingly unecessary terms, and it also was, in DAML days, the single
feature name that confused the most people - I thought we were
proposing a clean solution that didn't require creating a new
syntactic feature, this is quite different - so I oppose closing this
issue with Peter's suggested solution.
  -JH

On Dec 13, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> ISSUE-68 has to do with a nonmonotonicity in the mapping rules for
> qualified cardinality restrictions.  As pointed out in several places
> this can be alleviated by using the DAML+OIL solution of having a
> different property for qualified cardinalities.
>
> I thus propose using
>
> owl:minCardinalityQ
> owl:maxCardinalityQ
> owl:cardinalityQ
>
> just as in DAML+OIL and close the issue with this change.
>
> Peter F. Patel-Schneider
> Bell Labs Research
>
> PS:  Just about any name could be used, but this one has historical
>      antecedents.

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept