Re: PRPOSAL to close ISSUE-8

On Dec 13, 2007, at 1:24 PM, Uli Sattler wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2007, at 16:04, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>
>> I have had a discussion with Uli about this, and it seems that a
>> limited form of this would not compromise decidability - e.g. no
>> binary comparisons other than equality. She said she would write
>> up a proposal.
>
> ...I seem to remember that i agreed to have a think (!) about it
Yes.
> - and I had: it seems to me that (i) we would need to "fork" OWL11
> in a difficult to understand way (i.e., you can either use datatype
> properties at the end of property chains or, say,  comparisons, but
> not both), and

This doesn't seem in principal different than transitive properties
and cardinality constraints. Is it? If so, how would you characterize
the difference?

> (ii) we would need to ask implementors whether they would be
> willing to implement this.

Yes.

> I would thus favour to not allowing them at all....Carsten?

Yes, but we have two groups which clamor for them - Jim and Jeremy
representative of them, and they are kind of obviously useful. Could
we at least have the technical aspects of the case where they are not
used in comparisons laid out?

Anyways, I think it would be useful to have that in front of us,  so
we could have something concrete to ask the implementors about.

-Alan