Extension with linear Equations

From: Frank Wawrzik <wawrzik@cs.uni-kl.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 14:21:26 +0000
To: "public-owl-comments@w3.org" <public-owl-comments@w3.org>, "bijan.parsia@manchester.ac.uk" <bijan.parsia@manchester.ac.uk>, "uli.sattler@manchester.ac.uk" <uli.sattler@manchester.ac.uk>
CC: "public-owl-dev@w3.org" <public-owl-dev@w3.org>
Hello,

I am a Ph.D student at TU Kaiserslautern and we are intending to add linear equations to our ontology. As for now the primary reason seems to be to have a common data format as decided upon in our project. For now we have our equations in XML separate from the ontology.

I looked up the DataRange Extension for OWL 2, but as far as I understood it, it is not yet implemented but just supporting to build such constructs. I can also not find any owl:DataComparison construct in the OWL 2 specification. Am I correct on this?

Furthermore when will this be supported or is this even planned? I am also wondering about the additional benefit of it. It seems to enable a mapping between the values in the ontology and in the equation. But if we have e.g. a less equal equation this will not be checked for consistency in the ontology if this equation is true right? (Reasoner Support?) I am aware of the SWRL math build-in, but the language seems to be a bit complicated for using equations and in the end we want to be able to support uncertain variables with data ranges in our equations that are solved externally by a constraint solver.

What is your main reason to put equations in the ontology rather than in XML?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Frank Wawrzik
Dipl.-Ing. Frank Wawrzik