RE: Question about ontology

Hi J,

I’m afraid that’s not so fundamental. We shouldn’t over-interpret natural
language grammar (nor physical appearance for that matter) when it comes to
semantics. I can easily juggle around with adjectives, nouns and verbs and
turn them into each other without changing the meaning of the sentence.
Natural language grammar is superficial/superimposed structure for a large
part.

As much as that I can say that I am **in** a marriage (which I am), I can
say that some marriage relates me to my wife. Also, there is no fundamental
difference between a relation/predicate on the one hand and an object on
the other. They are just different perspectives of the same. A marriage is
equally a relation as it is an object. We tend to take them apart, but for
superficial reasons (natural language grammar, or mathematics). Reification
is no exception, it’s the rule. Don’t we say that we take **part** in a
relation?

So, I see no problem in having “full bottle” as the relation in this
example. It relates “empty bottle” and “liquid”. The pouring is the context
responsible for defining that relation. In case we can’t express
contextuality, I would settle for seeing it as the third component of the
relation. This makes sense (in this example), because you need “pouring” **
first** before you can have full bottles.

By the way, by saying that the difference between **being in something**
and **taking apart in something** is superficial, I do not say that such
distinction is always irrelevant. But, in case I would feel that this
distinction is relevant, I should think about what makes the difference.
This context (the differentiator), though, is **specific**, it’s not
fundamental. This even holds for the physical context.

Cheers!

Paul