Re: About the Approach 1, Representing Classes As Property Values on the Semantic Web

Dear Natasha, all,

I was revisiting Approach 1 of Representing Classes As Property Values
on the Semantic Web (http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-classes-as-values/) and I
came across some questions that I would like to capture below.

Regarding the declaration of :BookAboutAnimals in Approach 1.
It seems that the implementation of :BookAboutAnimals listed online as
an N3 snippet as part of subsection "Considerations when choosing
approach 1:", does not match the implementation found in the [N3]
[RDF/XML] files provided in subsection "OWL code for approach 1" listed
below:

- [N3] http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-classes-as-values/books1.n3
- [RDF/XML] http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-classes-as-values/books1.owl

The declaration of :BookAboutAnimals found in the [N3] file above is as
follows:

13 default:BookAboutAnimals
14       a       owl:Class ;
15       rdfs:subClassOf owl:Thing ;
16       rdfs:subClassOf
17               [ a       owl:Class ;
18                 owl:unionOf ([ a       owl:Restriction ;
19                             owl:onProperty dc:subject ;
20                             owl:someValuesFrom default:Animal
21                           ] [ a       owl:Restriction ;
22                             owl:onProperty dc:subject ;
23                             owl:someValuesFrom
24                                     [ a       owl:Restriction ;
25                                       owl:hasValue default:Animal ;
26                                       owl:onProperty p1:subClassOf
27                                     ]
28                           ])
29               ] .

If we compare the declaration above to that on the snippet listed
online, two mismatches can be seen:

1) [N3] file, line 26: "p1:subClassOf" seems to be a typo for
"rdfs:subClassOf".
2) [N3] file, line 20: "owl:someValuesFrom default:Animal" is
"owl:hasValue Animal" on the snippet listed online.

There is also a new owl:ObjectProperty declared, "p1:subClassOf" on line
47, I guess because of 1).

In this sense, my questions would be:

- Regarding 1). What was the actual intent? If the intended property is
in fact rdfs:subClassOf, would we want to apply an OWL restriction on a
property that is part of the RDF-Schema definition? Wouldn't this turn
rdfs:subClassOf into an owl:ObjectProperty as a side effect also,
creating a somewhat odd meta-modeling scenario?

- Regarding 2). What was the intended restriction? owl:someValuesFrom as
in line 20 above, or owl:hasValue as in the N3 fragment given online? If
the intended one is owl:hasValue as in the fragment online, the expected
value would be an individual, while "Animal" is a class. Is this re-use
of the class "Animal" as value of the property owl:hasValue, also part
of what Approach 1 is trying to illustrate?

I believe these mismatches between the N3 fragment given online and the
[N3] file provided, leave some room for ambiguity on what the intended
implementation of Approach 1 is. Would it be possible to consolidate
these two sources as originally intended?

Thanks a lot,
Bene Rodriguez

P.S. Some additional info:
These mismatches seem to have propagated to the [RDF/XML] file pointed
to above as well with a few additional variations.
Comparing the contents of the [RDF/XML] file version (omitted for
clarity, please view contents on external editor), to that on the
snippet listed online, we can see:

3) [RDF/XML] file, line 14: A new class "BooksAboutAnimal2" is
introduced that seems to correspond to ":BookAboutAnimals" on the online
snippet.
4) [RDF/XML] file, line 32: Again, the property "rdfssubclassof" seems a
typo for "rdfs:subClassOf".
5) [RDF/XML] file, lines 23-25: Again, the restriction
"owl:someValuesFrom" is a "owl:hasValue" on the snippet listed online.
6) [RDF/XML] file, line 44: There is a class "BookAboutAnimals" that
does not correspond to ":BookAboutAnimals" on the online snippet.
7) [RDF/XML] file, line 51: A new class "#AnimalClass" is introduced
that is not part of the original example.

 From 3) to 7), it seems that the [RDF/XML] serialization does not
correspond to the [N3] version provided and adds a couple of mismatches,
which again, makes a bit tricky to guess the originally intended
implementation.

--
Research Associate
E-Business and Web Science Research Group