Re: A solution to integrate CWA into OWA.

Yucong--

It seems to me that Pat and Bijan have described the key technical characteristics of the CWA and OWA.  And contrary to what you seem to have said in your recent reply quoted below, these are not somehow limited to their usage in discussions about OWL.  What Pat has described is the generally-understood meaning of these terms anywhere they are used (e.g., in the database community).  However, I wonder if we could approach this thread from a somewhat different direction?  Your initial posting had the subject:  "Should Closed World Assumption(CWA) and Open World Assumption(OWA) be integrated?"  The subject then immediately changed to "A solution to integrate CWA into OWA".  What I haven't found (perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you've said) is any motivation for integrating them.  In other words, what do you want to do that suggests to you the need to "integrate" CWA and OWA (or alternatively, what do you want to do that the lack of "integration" of CWA and OWA prevents you from doing)?  What are the applications?

By the way, this may not be what you are after, but there is a sense in which you CAN "integrate" the CWA and the OWA, and Pat has already discussed it.  See, for example, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-logic/2001Jul/0067.html  Basically, in an otherwise "open world system", you explicitly describe the closed world AND you explicitly describe the closed world assumption itself (the assumption that this closed world is complete in some sense).  Of course, in this approach you're not really integrating the closed and open world *assumptions*, you are making the closed world assumption about some aspect of the world *explicit* (i.e., no longer an "assumption") within an OWA system.

--Frank Manola