Colon symbol in URI?

From: <zhutchok@ebi.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:04:20 +0100 (BST)
To: public-owl-dev@w3.org
Hello all,

I am trying to find out if it is possible to use colon symbol in the URI
of RDF/OWL classes, for example:
http://purl.obofoundry.org/obo/SMTH:0000353. On one hand, I could not find
any mention of it being restricted on W3C web-page, but on the other hand,
I could not find any ontology example having a colon in a class URI
(except the colon after http) either. Moreover, OBO to OWL converters
usually replace colon symbols used in OBO identifiers with an underscore,
e.g. Protege will convert smth:0000053 to
http://purl.obofoundry.org/obo/SMTH_0000353 (not to
http://purl.obofoundry.org/obo/SMTH:0000353).

Does it mean colon is prohibited?

Thanks for your help,