another question about inference

From: Yoandy Rodriguez <yrodriguezma@uci.cu>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 12:16:45 -0500
To: public-owl-dev@w3.org
Hi everybody,

I've continued reading my first book about the semantic web along with
some papers and w3c recommendations so now in any time I hope to be
answering other beginners questions and stop asking mine. Meanwhile, I'm
stuck trying to make a model that allows the reasoner to infer
"if something is of a round shape and is not a circle then is an
ellipse"
Again this is a very dumb example but the main point I think is how to
handle negative assertions (I'm not sure if that is the proper way to
call them).
Is there a way to do this?
Also I would like to know which books should I be reading (I'm finishing
"Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist").

Thanks in advance.