Re: What is it used for?

Hi Ray!
Here is very incomplete answer to your question - I'll give you some of the
examples of using ontologies:

[1] - here is a description of popular ontology SNOMED-CT - some of the
usecases are described there.
In bioinformatics ontologies, for example in Gene Ontology reasoning is used
to figure out what gene is responsible for. [2]
There are many other ontologies that are used to provide the world the
common set of tems for describing data. I don't think that Geonames ontology
is used for reasoning but I'm sure that if you describe some geodata, you
should use classes and properties from Geonames.

[1] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2396499/
[2] http://wiki.geneontology.org/index.php/GO_FAQ#Why_do_we_need_GO.3F

Sincerely yours,
Yury