why do owl:DataRange's need to be blank nodes?

From: Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 14:27:47 -0400
To: public-owl-dev@w3.org
The OWL 1 documents clearly if subtly say that for an enumerated data
type being expressed in RDF, the owl:DataRange that is the subject of an
owl:oneOf statement should be a blank node. I have a couple of questions
about this:

1) Why is this? Is there any harm (other than violating the spec, of
course) in giving a URI to an owl:DataRange?

2) Is this same restriction reflected in the OWL 2 documents? I've tried
to find it, but have been unsuccessful, so would appreciate any pointers.

many thanks,
Lee