Re: OWL2 serialized as JSON?

Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider wrote:
> From: Bob Ferris <zazi@elbklang.net>
> Subject: Re: OWL2 serialized as JSON?
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 06:46:30 -0500
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> On 4/6/2011 1:18 PM, Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>> From: Bob Ferris<zazi@elbklang.net>
>>> Subject: Re: OWL2 serialized as JSON?
>>> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 03:47:20 -0500

>>> A direct transformation from OWL axioms to JSON would be much more
>>> readable than first going through RDF.  There would be other advantages,
>>> including size.
>> However, then you probably confuse people even more who are trying to
>> get into Semantic Web, or? If we would have two separate serializations
>> formats, then you have to teach people RDF/JSON and OWL/JSON, and
>> convience them from their benefits and existence. The power of RDF Model
>> is that it is a knowledge representation structure for the vocabulary
>> level and the instantitation level. Otherwise, you would (prefer to) use
>> OWL/JSON for vocabulary level serializations and RDF/JSON for
>> instatiation level serializations. Finally, the size reduction would be
>> a consequence of a more complex grammar, which might be a disadvantage.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

>> Bob
>
> I would argue instead that RDF/JSON for OWL axioms would be much more
> confusing than a direct transformation.

Likewise, I'd also argue that a splitting of a-box and t-box statements
in to two distinct serializations would be far more inline with what
people are used to, especially when coming from the classes and objects
or RDBMS side of things, the blurring of the lines between schema and
data always work out for the best, indeed I'd argue that many around the
linked data world don't use ontologies to anywhere near there full
potential because the lines are so blurred.

 From another point of view, it would be very nice to see a meeting of
the minds between OWL and JSON-Schema, and likewise for RDF/LinkedData
and JSON. To me atleast, that would be wonderful.

Best,

Nathan

ps: cross post to RDF WG, since it's quite related.