Re: Literals with datatypes defined by a datatype definition

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de> wrote:
> Dear all!
>
> I am trying to find out, from inspecting the OWL 2 specification, whether an
> OWL 2 DL ontology can contain typed literals with datatypes that have been
> defined by means of a datatype definition, as specified in Sec. 9.4 of [1].

My read is no, based on Sec. 5.7 about Literals. It says: "Each
literal consists of a lexical form, which is a string, and a datatype;
the datatypes supported in OWL 2 are described in more detail in
Section 4."
Section 4 describes the OWL2 datatype map, noting the distinction
between the set of datatypes and the datatype map.

I think it be clearer to to say in 5.7
"Each literal consists of a lexical form, which is a string, and a
datatype from the OWL 2 datatype map, described in more detail in
Section 4."

An issue would be that while we are able to define a datatype IRI, we
have no way of specifying the lexical space, which can't be
unambiguously determined because of DataUnionOf and DataComplementOf

Protege 4.1 will load the ontologies, however it will not find the
inconsistency. It does not complain, however, and assuming this
analysis is correct, it should complain when sending this to the
reasoners.

-Alan