Re: Defining required object properties given that a different object property is true.

From: Uli Sattler <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:50:26 +0000
To: Mitchell Gillespie <mgillesp@uoguelph.ca>

On 1 Dec 2010, at 23:20, Mitchell Gillespie wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>    Let's consider this simple example (excusing my notation).
> Class:Person requires the following rule when refering to
> Class:TwinType.    This is not my actual context, I am simply
> looking for the proper methodology to define this restriction/rule..
>
> IF (<individual_Pers1>  hasTwinType  <individual_FaternalTwins) THEN
>         THIS MUST BE TRUE  (<individual_Pers1> hasSon Class:Person)
> AND ( <individual_Pers1> hasDaughter Class:Person)
>
>   Essentially, I want to specify that if a Person has Twins then
> that person must also hasSon AND hasDaughter.  Obviously, this
> example isn't true in reality, but I need to define that given that
> an individual of Class:Person has an object property to a specific
> individual THEN  that given individual of Class:Person must also
> satisfy two other object property relationships...
>
>   I am using OWL2 in Protege 4.1.  Any suggestions on how this is
> defined in the Equivalent Class definitions?

Hi Mitchell,

as this is an implication, "if", (and not a bi-implication, "if and
only if"), a subclass axiom will do the trick: you want to make

hasTwinType some FaternalTwins SubClassOf ((hasSon some Person) and
(hasDaughter some Person))

...you can do this (i.e., adding a subclassaxiom where the left hand
side is a complex class expression and not only a class name) in the
"general axioms" pane in the "active ontology" part.

Cheers, Uli