Again on All humans love (all) cats

From: Marco Colombetti <colombet@elet.polimi.it>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:06:24 +0200
To: <public-owl-dev@w3.org>
I may have missed some message in this thread, but I still
do not understand whether

   pHuman o topObjectProperty o pCat SubPropertyOf loves

is acceptable in OWL 2 DL, or it isn't because it brings
in a circular dependency between loves and
topObjectProperty.

I made a few experiments with existing reasoners: the
chain subproperty axiom works fine with HermiT (I mean it
infers all assertions of form loves(human,cat)), does not
work with Pellet (no assertion of form loves(human,cat) is
inferred), and it makes my Fact++ crash.

Best,

Marco

PS. Here is my ontology:

Class: Human
     EquivalentTo: pHuman some owl:Thing
Class: Cat
     EquivalentTo: pCat some owl:Thing
ObjectProperty: identity
     SubPropertyOf: owl:topObjectProperty
     Characteristics: Functional, Reflexive
ObjectProperty: pHuman
     SubPropertyOf: identity
ObjectProperty: pCat
     SubPropertyOf: identity
ObjectProperty: loves
     SubPropertyOf: owl:topObjectProperty
     SubPropertyChain: pHuman o owl:topObjectProperty o
pCat
     Domain: Human
     Range: Cat