Re: All humans love (all) cats

On 01/10/2010 16:51, Cristian Cocos wrote:
 > How would I write "All humans love all cats" in OWL2 please ? (I'd
 > appreciate a Manchester syntax rendering.) I know how to trick OWL2
 > to say that some fixed specified individual loves all cats, though
 > not the former.

Note that there is a not-so-differently titled research paper on the
same issue: "All Elephants are Bigger Than All Mice" [1]. The feature
used here is generally known as a "concept product" (or "class product"
in OWL terms).

Jie's below explanation shows a workaround that can be used for OWL 2.
This indirect encoding may not work well in practice, since tools for
modelling and reasoning will not recognise that you only want to make a
very simple statement when using the below axioms. There are other
possible encodings that may or may not work better in specific
situations. Here is one more:

EquivalentClasses( :Human ObjectHasValue( :pHuman :anIndividual ) )
EquivalentClasses( :Cat ObjectHasValue( :pCat :anIndividual ) )
SubObjectPropertyOf( ObjectPropertyChain(
                         :pHuman
                         ObjectInverseOf ( :pCat )
                      ) :love)

Here :pCat, :pHuman, and :anIndividual are auxiliary entities not used
anywhere else. Manchester Syntax would be something like this:

ObjectProperty: love SubPropertyChain: pHuman o  inv(pCat)
Class: Cat  EquivalentTo: pCat value anIndividual
Class: Human  EquivalentTo: pHuman value anIndividual

Regards,

Markus

[1] http://korrekt.org/page/Elephants
(this is a special case of DL Rules; see my dissertation for an extended
discussion: http://korrekt.org/page/PhD_thesis)

--
Markus Krötzsch
Oxford  University  Computing  Laboratory