W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-owl-dev@w3.org > January to March 2010

Re: OWL class restriction

From: Thomas Schneider <schneidt@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 19:04:07 +0000
Message-Id: <E29B893E-DE29-40D5-B105-28F533478121@cs.man.ac.uk>
To: Alessandro Maccagnan <maccagnan@math.unipd.it>, public-owl-dev@w3.org, Erika Feltrin <erika.feltrin@cribi.unipd.it>
Oh, just now I've read Uli's email properly ... and her suggestion  
shows that this three-variable statement might be possible. Would it  
be enough for your purposes if you say the following?

(1) The composition of has_action_goal and inverse(has_object_goal)  
implies has_object
(2) Every action can have at most one object (Action subClassOf  
has_object max 1 Thing)
(3) All individuals of type object are distinct

If (2) clashes with your scenario, it seems to me that you will need  
closed world reasoning.

Cheers

Thomas


On 13 Jan 2010, at 17:52, Thomas Schneider wrote:

> Hi Alessandro,
>
> On 13 Jan 2010, at 11:09, Alessandro Maccagnan wrote:
>
>> Hi Uli,
>>
>> thanks for your reply.
>> We are trying to define a propertyChain but we realize that what we  
>> need to say is as follows.
>>
>> defining these properties:
>>   Action has_object Some Object
>>   Action has_action_goal Some Goal
>>   Object has_object_goal Some Goal
>>
>> at the individuals level we would like to say:
>>
>> a1 has_action_goal g1
>> o1 has_object_goal g1
>> o2 has_object_goal g2
>> =>
>> a1 CAN HAVE has_object o1
>>
>> BUT
>> a1 CANNOT HAVE has_object o2
>>
>> So this means that only the objects (o) that have the same goal (g)  
>> of the
>> action (a) can be used in that action.
>
> I don't think that this can be said in OWL because you will have to  
> say that every individual x that is related to an individual y via  
> has_object must also have another link to y via the chain  
> has_action_goal o inverse(has_object_goal). This statement requires  
> three variables in first-order logic, hence it's unlikely that it  
> can be expressed in OWL. (Or does anyone here see a clever trick?)  
> You might be more lucky with a rule language, but that is not my  
> domain.
>
> Second, together with the rule you stated in your last sentence, the  
> ontology you gave is not sufficient to conclude that a1 cannot have  
> o2 as an object: the individuals g1 and g2 can be the same, and  
> actions and objects are not prevented from having other goals than  
> the ones stated. You will at least have to make all individuals  
> different and close the "some" restrictions with corresponding  
> "only" restrictions. Even then, the open world assumption might play  
> a trick on you in the cases where you haven't said anything about  
> certain individuals, so you might require closed world reasoning here.
>
> Cheers
>
> Thomas
>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Alessandro
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Uli Sattler <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>  
>> wrote:
>> Hi Alessandro,
>>
>> this is a tricky think to be done. What you can do is use a  
>> propertychain to ensure that
>>
>> the composition of  has_object with has_Goal implies has_Goal.
>>
>> This would require the usage of a dedicated 'has_Goal' (rather than  
>> a less specific has_information) property, but this shouldn't be a  
>> problem (make has_information a superproperty of has_Goal if you  
>> like).
>>
>> Does this suffice? Cheers, Uli
>>
>>
>> On 12 Jan 2010, at 14:54, Alessandro Maccagnan wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> we are developing an ontology for the description of a general  
>> Action structure. The Action Structure is composed of:
>>
>> Subject (that performs the action)
>> Object_complement (that undergoes the action)
>> Complement (that helps in the execution of the action)
>> Goal of Action (the effect of the action)
>>
>> We have already defined that:
>>
>> Action has_information one Goal_of_action
>> Action has_object some Object
>> Object is_object_in some Action
>> Object has_information some Goal_of_action (because an object can  
>> be used in several distinct actions)
>>
>> Now we would like to say that an Action can have as its objects  
>> only those that have the same goal of the related action.
>>
>> Action has_object some Object where Object.Goal=Action.Goal
>>
>> Unfortunately we are stuck because we do not know how to formalize  
>> it in OWL. Does anybody have any suggestions to help us?
>>
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Alessandro Maccagnan
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> Alessandro
>> Maccagnan
>
> + 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |  Dr Thomas Schneider                    schneider (at)  
> cs.man.ac.uk  |
> |  School of Computer Science       http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/ 
> ~schneidt  |
> |  Kilburn Building, Room 2.114                 phone +44 161  
> 2756136  |
> |  University of  
> Manchester                                            |
> |  Oxford Road                                             _/// 
> _       |
> |  Manchester M13 9PL                                       
> (o~o)       |
> +-----------------------------------------------------oOOO--(_)-- 
> OOOo--+
>
> Jubones (pl.n.)
>  Awful things bought in Nairobi which never look good at home.
>
>                  Douglas Adams, John Lloyd: The Deeper Meaning of Liff
>
>
>
>

+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Dr Thomas Schneider                    schneider (at) cs.man.ac.uk  |
|  School of Computer Science       http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~schneidt  |
|  Kilburn Building, Room 2.114                 phone +44 161 2756136  |
|  University of Manchester                                            |
|  Oxford Road                                             _///_       |
|  Manchester M13 9PL                                      (o~o)       |
+-----------------------------------------------------oOOO--(_)--OOOo--+

Jubones (pl.n.)
   Awful things bought in Nairobi which never look good at home.

                   Douglas Adams, John Lloyd: The Deeper Meaning of Liff





Received on Wednesday, 13 January 2010 19:04:36 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 27 March 2013 09:32:57 GMT