Re: Implementations of LCS for OWL

Chris Mungall <cjm@berkeleybop.org> writes:
> On Apr 29, 2010, at 4:08 AM, Alan Rector wrote:
>> Or there's the least common named subsumer in the inferred
>> classification lattice using lattice theoretical tools, but I presume
>> that is not what you are asking or you wouldn't be asking it.
>
> Correct, it would be a solved problem if the result was drawn only
> from the set of named classes.

Okay, so email overlap.

It seems reasonable to me to assume that at the time you want to
calculate a semantic similarity, then you have all the three terms that
you want -- the two that you wish to compare, and the (unknown,
explicitly expressed in the ontology) term that is the LCS.

I can see a very strong use case why you might want to allow the query
terms to not pre-exist, but why the LCS? What semantic similarity
measures were you thinking of anyway? The information content based
ones will, I think, require that the LCS pre-exist anyway. Otherwise,
you will have to test each LCS against the entire corpus for each query.

Phil