RE: OWL Restrictions and RDF Named Graphs

Hi Nathan!

It is not clear to me what your actual question is and what you want to
achieve. But I can see several issues that I want to make you aware of. This
may help you to rephrase your question, or to reconsider your ideas.

1) Named graphs are not supported by OWL, neither semantically nor
syntactically.

2) The two restriction classes are equivalent to each other. I don't know
whether you have intended this. The two class expressions only differ in the
owl:onProperty part. But, as you state in your mail, the properties
sioc:member_of and sioc:has_member are inverse to each other, so the
property expressions "sioc:member_of" and "[ owl:inverseOf sioc:has_member
]" that occur in the owl:onProperty parts are equivalent to each other.
Hence both restriction classes are equivalent.

3) I don't know what you mean when you say that a certain class "equates to
asking" a named graph. I also don't know what you mean by "if [the class]
asserts [some statement]" (classes don't assert anything). But what I can
see is that the two given statements

  <http://ex.org/john#me> sioc:member_of <http://ex.org/groups#g1>

and

  <http://ex.org/groups#g1> sioc:has_member <http://ex.org/john#me>

are equivalent, since the properties sioc:member_of and sioc:has_member are
equivalent. So you cannot use these statements as selection criteria, since
if one statement is asserted/inferred (by whatever means), the other will be
asserted/inferred as well.

Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Information Process Engineering (IPE)