OWLED 2009 - Discussion on the Future of OWL

From: Rinke Hoekstra <hoekstra@uva.nl>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 13:35:33 +0200
Cc: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, semanticweb@yahoogroups.com
To: Owl Dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>
(apologies for crossposts)

Dear All,

OWLED is not only about sharing OWL experiences, but also on the
direction in which OWL should be developed. Day 1 of this year's OWLED
will be concluded with a session on the future of OWL [4].

In anticipation of this session, we are soliciting (fresh, good) ideas
and opinions on the next steps for OWL.

To give some ideas. Topics may touch upon a wide variety of OWL-
related issues, such as much-needed language features (expressiveness,
annotations, time, space), scalability, compatibility, interaction and
interoperability with other languages (SKOS, RIF etc.), syntaxes,
'spreading the word' (or, 'how not to evangelize too much'), tools,
uncharted application domains, strategies to stimulate industry take-
up, etc. etc. etc.

In particular, we would like to have your input on the last point: now
that OWL 2 is in its final stage of development, how do we go about
creating a mature 'market' for OWL-based technologies. What are the
biggest hurdles ahead?

Please post your ideas as response to this email on public-owl-dev@w3.org
, or privately to me.

Plenty of inspiration can be found on the workshop series homepage
[1], OWLED taskforces [2], or by having a look at the papers of this
year's OWLED at [3] or [4].

Looking forward to hearing from you! (and perhaps even meeting you
next week... who knows?)

Best,

Rinke Hoekstra
Program Chair

[1] http://www.webont.org/owled
[2] http://www.webont.org/owled/taskforces/
[3] http://www.webont.org/owled/2009
[4] http://www.webont.org/owled/2009/schedule.html

---
Dr Rinke Hoekstra

AI Department         |   Leibniz Center for Law
Faculty of Sciences   |   Faculty of Law
Vrije Universiteit    |   Universiteit van Amsterdam
De Boelelaan 1081a    |   Kloveniersburgwal 48
1081 HV Amsterdam     |   1012 CX  Amsterdam
+31-(0)20-5987752     |   +31-(0)20-5253499
hoekstra@few.vu.nl    |   hoekstra@uva.nl

Homepage: http://www.few.vu.nl/~hoekstra