Simple modelling of a temporal sequence

From: Matthew Graham <mjg@cacr.caltech.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:06:51 -0700
To: public-owl-dev@w3.org

I'm trying to model a simple temporal sequence with a class called
Stage which has 5 subclasses: 2-cell, 4-cell, 8-cell, 16-cell and 32-

There are also four object properties: startStage, endStage, before
and after. before and after are defined to be transitive and inverse
to each other and with domain Stage and range Stage.

32-cell is then defined to be: after some 16-cell; 16-cell is defined
as: after 8-cell; etc.

Finally I declare an individual called ptype1 with startStage some 4-

I then run the reasoner on the ontology and try the DL Query:
startStage some (before 8-cell)

This does not return ptype1. Why not? Do I have to explicitly state
the inverse relationships, e.g. 16-cell before some 32-cell, as well -
why are these not inferred during reasoning?