File extensions vs namespaces?

From: Brad Cox <bradjcox@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 19:40:53 -0400
To: public-owl-dev@w3.org
Cc: Brad Cox <bradjcox@gmail.com>
I've been searching for a way to build ontologies that raise the least
possible uncertainties/questions with my users and keep stumbling over
what's probably a simple problem. Hope someone here can help:

Here's the pattern I use now.

	<owl:Ontology rdf:about="">
		<rdfs:comment>A comment</rdfs:comment>
	        <owl:imports rdf:resource="http://fed.gov/ontology/2009/07/

This works so long as the target of those owl:imports have no
extension. If I move "core" to "core.owl" (to stop tools like Protege
from refusing to even consider extension-less filenames), the only way
I can make things work is to rejigger the whole file
so that the namespace is core.owl too. There are about a half-dozen
such cases; core, pmbc, dod, etc.

I want the file/resource name to be pmbc.owl but the namespace to be http://fed.gov/ontology/2009/07/pmbc#

Is that possible?