OWL/RDF Ref/Def and Namespace Reference?

From: Brad Cox <bradjcox@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:19:10 -0400
To: public-owl-dev@w3.org
Cc: Brad Cox <brad.cox@rividium.com>
Could someone please recommend a concise reference for when (and why)
to use the various reference/dereferencing options
(rdf:ID, rdf:about, rdf:resource, others?). Also namespaces (when to
use foo:bar vs foo#bar vs &foo;bar and so forth). I've searched high
and low and am constantly confused by the proliferation of twisty

I've worked some of these out experimentally but that broke down when
I divided a large ontology into separate files. I'm really hoping for
something like a best practices but will take whatevers available.