Re: Semantics of owl:unionOf vs subclass ...

From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 21:57:57 -0400
To: Ruth Dhanaraj <ruthdhan@gmail.com>
Cc: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>, public-owl-dev@w3.org
That depends on what you hope to accomplish with your ontology and why
you're stating a domain for your property.

A property's domain causes an assertion of that property to trigger an
assertion of the property's subject as a member of the class (C, in
your example) given as the property's domain.  Similarly, a subclass
relationship (say, A subclassof C) causes an assertion of an instance
as a member of A to trigger an assertion of that instance as a member
of C.

If the only other facts about the class C are that A and B are
subclasses of it, then membership in that class carries no further
semantics, so what have you gained?

-Brandon :)