Re: Graphical notation standard for OWL

Hi Elisa, how are you?

Just now we could feedback you (my appologies)…We need time to diggest the
information that you sent to me and it was absoluty necessary for my study,
thank you.

So, we take the ontology elements from the ontology specification (
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-guide) mapping to the graphical representation
defined in the ODM specification. This mapping is summarized in this
document below. Please, feel free to correct me…

http://www.uniportal.com.br/media/marcel/UML-to-OWL-EN.pdf

The conclusion of this work is:

Most of ontology elements do not have a specific graphic symbol for their
representation or the element is represented in a literal and graphic form.

So, the problem continues because we couldn't define graphic symbols to
represent these elements.

 We understand the ODM representation form (based in UML) is not fully
suitable for information visualization interfaces, because the literal
representation needs much bigger area than a graphic symbol. In some cases,
it is not clear what iproperty is being represented.

Do you know why some UML symbols like composition and aggregation aren't
used until now (they could be mapped to some kind ontology properties)? And
there is another approach for this kind of representation (not based on
uml)?

Thank you very much,

Marcel