Re: class-specific inverse

From: Evren Sirin <evren@clarkparsia.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:25:02 -0400
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: Rinke Hoekstra <hoekstra@uva.nl>, Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>, Uli Sattler <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>, public-owl-dev@w3.org
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
> This looks like a nice and cute solution...
>
> Pity it cannot be expressed in OWL 2 RL (RL does not have a self
> restriction...). Oh well, one cannot get it all...

No worries, there are more in the bag of modeling tricks :) Instead of
self restrictions, we can use a has value restriction which is allowed
in OWL 2 RL and add one more property into the property chain. So the
axioms we need to would look like this:

:Book rdfs:subClassOf [ a owl:Restriction ; owl:hasValue :book ;
owl:onProperty :isBook ] .

:publishesBook owl:propertyChainAxiom ( [owl:inverseOf :publishedBy]
:isBook [owl:inverseOf :isBook] ) .

We ended up defining an additional individual :book to make this work
in OWL 2 RL but that's it.

Cheers,
Evren