Re: Mapping to RDF Graphs and reification

On Dec 3, 2008, at 12:23 PM, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On 3 Dec 2008, at 17:34, Daniel Mahler wrote:
>
>> Bijan,
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 3 Dec 2008, at 16:49, Jeff Thompson wrote:
> [snip]
>>> Consider:
>>>       s p o
>>>       not(s p o)
>>>
>>> (where the second is a negated triple). We want these to
>>> contradict. The
>>
>> If you represent negation by reification,
>
> "Encode negated sentences using reification", but ok.
>
>> how do you avoid Tarski's paradox?
>
> Tarski's paradox has nothing to do with this. So we avoid it by,
> well, not going anywhere near it :)
>
> (Standardly, Tarsk's paradox is about having the languages own truth
> predicate as a part of the language. We have no truth predicate at
> all.)

Well, someone could argue that since the negation construction
involves meta-description, iterating it gives you a kind of truth
predicate, in a sense. Kinda. But Tarski's paradox doesn't arise for
other reasons, having to do with how impoverished RDF is as an
expressive logic. To get Tarski's construction to work, the logic has
to be able to describe its own grammar and its own notion of
provability, which takes a certain minimal degree of expressivity
involving quantifiers that RDF does not come anywhere near. (If you
move to the more expressive logic being encoded in the RDF syntax -
the one with negation - then it no longer uses reification in the same
way: RDF reification doesn't reify that logic's syntax.)

Pat