Punning between properties types

From: Dimitrios Koutsomitropoulos <kotsomit@hpclab.ceid.upatras.gr>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 19:53:35 +0200
To: <public-owl-dev@w3.org>
Hello all,

Regarding the punning issue in OWL 2, I notice than in the new OWL 2
semantics document [1], in the changes summary,  punning has been disallowed
between object and data properties.

The relevant issue [2] is resolved based on the fact that “there are no
use-cases” or “we don’t know how to do it”.

>From this I understand that an <owl:objectProperty> cannot be treated as an
<owl:datatypeProperty> and vice-versa.

However what is the deal with <rdf:property> ? When an rdf ontology is
loaded by a reasoner or an application , how should it treat a generic
<rdf:property>?

I see three options:

-          Such properties should be totally ignored (or should not exist
all along)

-          Should be considered only of a fixed type (either data - or
object-)

-          Should be punned based on their use

Latest Protégé 4 (b. 103) seems to follow the last option, with which I
personally agree. This is also supported by the latest FaCT++ (1.2.0)

However Pellet 2.0 throws exceptions. Is this a bug or a feature,
considering the above resolution? In addition, should Protégé 4 and FaCT++
drop this feature? Finally, is this perhaps an issue different than punning
between properties (i.e. has nothing to do)?

Best regards,

Dimitrios

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-semantics/

[2] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/tracker/issues/17