Re: owl:TopObjectProperty in property chains?

On 26 Aug 2008, at 07:15, Jeff Thompson wrote:

> [1] shows how to rewrite the rule
> hasParent(x, y) ^ hasBrother(y, z) -> hasUncle(x, z)
> into the OWL 2 axiom:
> ObjectProperty: hasUncle SubPropertyChain: hasParent o hasBrother
>
> Is the universal property owl:TopObjectProperty allowed in a
> property chain?

Hi Jeff,

due to the so-called 'regularity condition', owl:TopObjectProperty
cannot occur in a subPropertyChain. The details are a bit tricky but,
in a nutshell, if you have a statement where a property P (or its
inverse) occurs in a subPropertyChain of a property Q, then Q (orr its
inverse) cannot occur in a subPropertyChain of P.

>  In
> other words, suppose you have the OWL 2 axiom:
>
> ObjectProperty: childRelatedToBrother
>  SubPropertyChain: hasParent o owl:TopObjectProperty o hasBrother
>
> would that be the same as this rule:
> hasParent(x, y) ^ hasBrother(w, z) -> childRelatedToBrother(x, z)
>
> In other words, the parent of x does not need to be the same as the
> brother of z.

Now this example looks very strange indeed: could you explain to us
what the idea behind it is? Cheers, Uli