Re: Intersection of properties?

Please forgive my naive question as I try to clarify: If I published an ontology
with a million axioms, I used OWL because it is decidable so that a rules engine
examining the ontology won't choke.  BUT before I published the ontology I
made sure that it didn't have any contradicting statements.  What rules engine
did I use to do THAT?  And I ran that rules engine to check for contradictions
without worrying that it would choke, even though the ontology has a million axioms.
So, either
   1) it is a decidable (terminating) problem to determine if an ontology has
contradictions, or
   2) it is not decidable so I have to just publish my ontology not knowing if
it has contradictory assertions and just hope for the best.

I suspect 1) is the truth.  Am I wrong?  Aren't people using some tool or another
to check for contradictions in their ontology?  And why can't these rules used by this
tool be expressed in the ontology itself?