RE: some x has only y

I think this can be done without creating an ABox, but I will need the OWL gurus on the list to double-check my logic (see below).

Let's start with the following set of base axioms:

OWLClass(:BeerDrinkingExperience)
OWLClass(:KaraokeExperience)
ObjectProperty(:causes)

> Another way to do this would be to introduce a sub-class of beer
> [drinking
> experience] called something like "beer drinking that leads to
> karaoke".
>
> "beer drinking that leads to karaoke" < "beer drinking experience"
> "beer drinking that leads to karaoke" = causes some "karaoke singing
> experience

In order to capture the logic you're looking for here, "beer drinking that leads to karaoke" would have to be an intersection class, not a subclass of "beer drinking experience". As written, ANYTHING that causes karaoke is beer drinking, which I don't think is what you were trying to say.

So let's postulate the following assertions:

OWLClass(:BeerDrinkingThatLeadsToKaraoke)
EquivalentClasses(:BeerDrinkingThatLeadsToKaraoke
                  ObjectIntersectionOf(:BeerDrinkingExperience
                                       ObjectSomeValuesFrom(:causes :KaraokeExperience)))

# Redundant...implied by intersection semantics
SubClassOf(:BeerDrinkingThatLeadsToKaraoke :BeerDrinkingExperience)

> However, while this gets arround the problems with the a-box approach,

I'm not sure it does. In this case, all you have done is created a class describing beer experiences that lead to karaoke. You have not said that this class necessarily contains any members.

To elaborate, if you said something like

# Beer drinking does NOT cause karaoke
EquivalentClasses(:BeerDrinkingExperience
                  ObjectAllValuesFrom(:causes
                                      ObjectComplementOf(:KaraokeSinging))

you would not be creating an inconsistency. Instead, you would be implying that :BeerDrinkingThatLeadsToKaraoke is an empty class (i.e. equivalent to owl:Nothing). At this point, we haven't actually REQUIRED that the members of the class exist.

> this
> has introduced a new named class with a necesarily ugly name. It feels
> like
> we now need extra documentation to allow a user or editor to know that
> we are
> using subsumption assertion to represent "some" in "some beer leads to
> karaoke" and therefore to tell us more about beer, rather than as a
> mechanism
> to say something about a specific sub-type of beer. I guess what I'm
> groping
> towards is 'anonymous sub-classes' so that I could say something like:
>
> subclassof(_ intersection(beer, causes some karaoke))
>
> where _ is a new class identifier, globally unique, each and every time
> it is
> used.

I think the following sentence is key:

> This would require this (anonymous) concept to be satisfiable,

So how do we require that a class be satisfiable? While I'm on fairly sure footing with everything I've said so far, here's where I begin to wonder. Can we declare that a class is satisfiable by declaring the following?

# someClass has at least one member
DisjointClasses(:someClass owl:Nothing)

If that were the case, then your problem could be addressed like this:

# Sometimes, beer drinking causes karaoke
# Or, there is at least one beer drinking experience that causes a karaoke experience
DisjointClasses(owl:Nothing
                ObjectIntersectionOf(:BeerDrinkingExperience
                                     ObjectSomeValuesFrom(:causes :KaraokeExperience)))

Does this work? Does declaring a class disjoint with owl:Nothing mean that it PROVABLY has members? My gut says that this doesn't work, but I can't figure out why. I'd love to hear the list's opinions on this.

Thanks,

Tim Swanson
Semantic Arts, Inc.
Fort Collins, Colorado